Sunday, March 10, 2019

Photographs & Mirrors

For the last 10 years or so I have hated having my picture taken. Every image of myself was horrible to my eyes and I avoided cameras or did my best to be the one taking the pictures. I even started avoiding full body mirrors as my visage was so hateful to me.

Over the last year or two, and especially after a medical scare my husband had last year, I have come to realize that my children would probably like to have pictures of us together when I pass. And even before then, my children deserve a mother who is present and not hiding from the camera or mirrors.

And while I started being less camera shy for my children I also came to appreciate my own image. I am learning to love my self as I am now. I am learning that I don't have to change myself to be worthy of love and respect. And in learning this I have begun taking better care of myself. Loving my body as it is helps me treat myself with kindness. The "flaws" I used to see are now just a part of my uniqueness. I am me, and that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment